Franklin Red Beef Jerky
(by Anthony Vella, Paramotor Pilot)
We live beside the Franklin Mountains, and it is locally understood that "Franklin Red" refers to the reddish brown composition of the mountain that we all love so much. Hence, Franklin Red Beef Jerky! If you are up for a sweet and spicy treat, follow this recipe:
Time & Temperature: Dehydrate at 160º F for 6-8 hours.
Equipment: SAHARA Folding Dehydrator.
- 1 pound of eye of round (trim the fat)
- 1/2 cup of coconut aminos
- 1 T of hickory liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 heaping tsp of onion powder
- 1 heaping tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 T of habanero flakes (See Recipe Right)
Homemade Habanero Flakes with the SAHARA
- Slice the beef (with the grain) 1/4" thickness and place into a large ziplock bag.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the bag, zip, and massage for several minutes or until all of the beef has been covered in the mixture.
- Place into the refrigerator for 24 hours. After 12 hours, invert the ziplock bag to ensure even distribution of flavor.
- After 24 hrs, place each slice of beef onto a flat firm surface or cutting board to pound the beef with a meat tenderizing mallet. To avoid splashing of the marinade, place the meat inside a heavy 2 gallon ziplock bag, release all the air before sealing the bag, and then pound to tenderize.
- Lay the slices on the drying rack with at least 2" between to ensure adequate airflow.
- Set Brod & Taylor Sahara Dehydrator to 160º F for 6-8 hours.
OPTIONAL: For an added kick (my personal favorite), lightly sprinkle homemade habanero flakes on top of the slices just before inserting the drying trays back into your Sahara dehydrator.